Serious question regarding grouping in game

Discussion about whatever

Moderator: Lieutenants

Serious question regarding grouping in game

Postby Valenquissvrand » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 pm

First off I want to apologize if this is a big post, but this is something thats been bothering me for a long time, and I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas from our guild. I've tried a post like this on the official forums but it got flooded with spam and bm. This question is essentially about getting grouped up for endgame content (hard mode flashpoints particularly).

I'll start out with how my experiences have gone, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had something like this happen. I really enjoyed leveling and playing the story when I first got the game, as you might know this is my first mmo, so I wasn't really on top of the multiplayer content at first, so for the most part I just played solo through the story, didn't make any alts, and had a great time. Now a few times along the way I tried to get groups for heroics/flashpoints, but always ended up spending a ton of time waiting around *wasting* time as far as I was concerned, I felt bad I was missing out on content, but there was enough awesome stuff to do solo that I would just get back into the game and enjoy myself. At some point I joined my first guild, and then I had some people to chat with while I played, and that was cool, but I guess they weren't very active, I almost never met anyone in game, and before long I was there first level 50, and finished the story. Like all good little level 50's I did my Ilum/Belsavis dailies and fairly quickly got my modded level 50 gear sorted out, but this was when I started to notice a problem. I started spending more time *driving around in circles* on the fleet, trying to get a group for endgame content. I'm sure part of the problem was my inexperience in mmo's, I didn't even know group roles very well or even how to get a group started for the most part, but I'd like to think by now I've got a fair grasp on that sort of thing, but I'm still running into the same problem, I spend more time waiting and trying to get a group, then actually playing the game.

The traditional answers I hear to this problem are: pvp, alt's, dailies, guild for hm's/ops. So lets clear these out quick, I'm not into pvp, not a call of duty kinda guy, that stuff stresses me out lol, I have lots of alts that I play now and then, but its a lot of repetition, and doesn't hold my interest for long, I'm bored sick of the dailies, the only point for them seems to be making credits now, and the only way to do anything else requires a group of 4 or 8. Well ok, I'm definitely appreciative of the times I've gone with the guild to ops/hm's, I've gotten a couple tiers of gear higher then I could've on my own, had a good time, and it certainly has helped give me something to do. But unfortunately I'm still feeling that most of the time I'm logged in, I'm just waiting around trying to get a group.

I just wanted to ask if anyone in the guild has any advice they're willing to give me to help me get out of this rut, or is this typical for mmo's? I honestly wouldn't know if this is normal or not heh heh. I'm sure I can't be the only one having this kind of trouble. I was on the edge of unsubscribing before I joined this guild, so I'm thankful for the help I've gotten so far, don't get me wrong. I know this 1.2 patch just came out, so things are kinda in a flux right now, and thats all good, but I still don't know how I'm going to get over my *more time waiting then playing* problem. I can see lots of new endgame things to do (I like the look of the new vehicle achievement missions), I've still never killed a world boss or even seen half the flashpoints, so I feel that theres still lots of content left for me to see (and I do enjoy playing alts sometimes, they just can't be the MAIN focus now), but I'm really struggling to keep logging in unless theres going to be something to do (like a scheduled op for instance).

Anyway, just looking for some input, not trying to be a downer or anything, I do enjoy the game and all, I'd just like to know if theres something I'm missing heh heh

Take it easy (and thanks for reading if you got this far)
Valenquissvrand

Re: Serious question regarding grouping in game

Postby Darlgon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:56 am

I hate to say it, but standing around and not being able to get a group is common in every MMO I have played. Proactive players will tell you to do the things you suggested to fill the time. Other options is YOU make yourself form up groups, you advertise Looking for X type (Tank, heals, DPS) to do Z flashpoint, group or quests on planet W. Unfortunately, passive players like myself dont end up making that happen. So, we make tons of alts to keep ourselves entertained.
Darlgon

Postby Valenquissvrand » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Thanks for the response Darlgon, yeah I suppose I didn't mention it, but when I'm *waiting* around on the fleet, I am usually posting something in general chat like healer lfg for hm's or something, just never seem to get any interest. It's kind of too bad I suppose, I guess I'm not sure how much longer I'll last then if this is just the way mmo's go, I've already payed more for this game (via monthly sub) then any other game I've ever purchased, and although I played it a lot when I first started, its really starting to drag now, maybe if I had irl friends that played as well it'd be easier lol
Valenquissvrand

Postby Darlgon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Most of the people I group with are people I have met in game. My core group I met in Everquest, about 8 of us moved to Lord of the Rings when it started to slow down. I met new people and made new friends. Then, SWTOR came out and some of us moved to the original guild. When it was too slow to get good groups, we merged with FateR. We have a lot more people on line per night than we had over 3-4 days. Kinda miss those who did not move, and I still log into Lotro occasionally to talk to old friends. Just keep putting yourself out there.

It is interesting that this forum is moderated by the lieutenants. The officers in the kin seem to be pretty good. However, it is kinda a habit to group up with those who you are comfortable with, and know you can blow through a Flash Point, and not even think to invite anyone new to the group. That too is consistent through every game I have played. Just hang in there..
Darlgon

Postby Faruna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Try asking in guild chat when you're online. AJ, casavus, and khel were hitting up flash points fairly often. I myself normally focus on my dailies, but have been known to hit up a flash point or two if time allows. My biggest thing with the flash points is how long they take, but if you want we can try and hit some up when I get home from work. Might take less time with my new PC.
Faruna

Postby Gonzalo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 am

I usually keep a list of common PUGers on my friends list that I cycle through when I'm looking for somebody. One healer to another, keep every tank you play with on that list to cut down on search times. There's a LFG chat that you could join, the more people on the chat line, the more chances it would actually grab somebody. Getting a group together does suck but I have made a few friends who I regularly play with because of it, so it might balance out.
Gonzalo

Postby Valenquissvrand » Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Was talkin with aj this evening and he suggested leaving TS logged in when I'm available to play swtor, but not logged in sitting around waiting, don't know if anyone else wants to try something like that, but if you log in to the TS channel and I'm sitting there let me know if you need a healer for something in game and I will probably log in :)
Valenquissvrand

Postby Darlgon » Wed May 16, 2012 6:23 pm

In my old game, we would all just hang around and chat in TS anyway. It allowed those working on leveling alts to do their thing, those polishing their mains to do theirs and if someone needed help, it was easy to swap from alt to main. Also, it built a sense of community that, even if you were not with the people working on something, you had people to cheer you on and offer suggestions. I generally will log into TS before I get into game, just to see if someone is on, plus to see if I should head to main or alt.
Darlgon

Return to General Discussion