[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4594: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4597: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4598: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Fates Requiem • View topic - Gear Optimzation

Gear Optimzation

Discussion about whatever

Moderator: Lieutenants

Gear Optimzation

Postby Valenquissvrand » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:53 am

Ok so the last little while I've been looking into gear optimization and spending a lot more time inspecting other players on fleet/mr robot, and trying to get a feel for how people choose what gear they use (specifically end game tier decisions) and I wanted to have a bit of a discussion here in the relative safety of the guild forum ;)

First I wanted to ask about primary stats, I'm wondering when (if ever) or why someone would choose end over str/will/aim/cun, specifically as a non-tank. A lot of times the endgame tiers have choices between say +10 end and +10 will (for instance) and I personally would never take a hit to my will for higher endurance, so I'm wondering under what circumstances others feel thats a good choice to make. I realize sometimes you don't necessarily have a choice (lets say set bonuses and no other options or something like that) but for things like spending columi/black hole comms for instance, why would you pick a high end item first over high main stat? (just curious, no offense intended if you do) For this one I'm wondering if that extra hp gives enough added survivability for anyone that its worth the drop in dps/hps I guess. I might trade -5 will for +40 end (maybe....) but I'd never take anything close to an even trade myself. Obviously if you're a tank class I can understand maxing hp, too a point at least, the question there might be, is there ever a point at which you stop priotizing end, and worry about dps (and threat generation) over maxing hp? (relying on mitigation/avoidance etc.)

Next my second topic of a bit less concern to me is on secondary stats. Personally as a sage I don't worry about accuracy obviously, so I wouldn't know how that fits in, I mostly just juggle pow/crit/surge/alac, or on my tank, def/shield/absorb/acc. I guess my question there is how should we handle the balance here as we work our way up the tiers. Surge/Crit/Alac all suffer diminishing returns as those ratings increase, so obviously maxing just one is not going to be ideal. Now I know there would be ways of working out formulas given the specific workings of each to figure out maximal distribution, but you also can't really account for gear options/availability (as in we aren't going to have access to unlimited mods/enhancements of our perfect pick any time soon) so I'm thinking in slightly more general terms then that. So the roundabout thing I'm trying to get to here, is how do you prioritize/distribute your secondaries? I think I'd personally *like* to go pow/crit/surge/alac in that order, but also the second secondary stat of enhancements (sorry for the lack of clarity...) is always surge or alacrity, so you just get the choice between the two most of the time. My understanding here is that trying to get the ratings somewhat close is probably the best idea (for pow/crit/surge/alac lets say try to aim for 400/300/250/200 in respective ratings for instance), do other people agree? and also would this apply similarly if you threw in acc for the other dps classes (I'm thinking dual wielding would prioritize that more highly as well), or also the tank secondaries of shield/absorb/defence/acc (accuracy being the odd bird out as it focuses on threat gen rather then survivability). Now obviously these sorts of decisions are very reliant on what options you have (curse you black hole gear), but I'm just trying to think of general guidelines of what will help people gear up the best, without trying to do cookie cutter do this do that sort of ideas.

Now my third and last point, (I promise) is more on the weighting of importance between the first two ideas. When would it be worth trading your +main (lets say not end for arguments sake) for +secondary? Would you trade over if its equal like +10 will for +10 pow for instance? or is there a specific ratio that makes it a good trade? I know specifically for my sage will gives you +dmg + heals and + crit. And I assume its mostly the same idea with the other classes... So basically at this point I'm just working out how to weight the various stats in importance, I know a lot of black hole gear for instance has high end and low main stat, and slightly higher secondaries, I would usually assume that's a bad upgrade, whereas if it has very similar end/main, and slightly higher secondaries, then you decide if switching secondaries for a net growth is actually an improvement (lets say we traded 50crit/50surge for 70power/50alac since I've seen that sort of thing personally) based on your current distribution of secondary stats. This also might result in times where buying 1 upgrade is not really an improvement until you can get a 2nd to rebalance the stats, therefore you save up 120 black hole comms (crazy I know) first. (for tank I guess the same argument but reverse the main stat with end and go through the same process)

Anyway thanks for reading if you got this far, what I'd like to get out of this is general gearing advice, for myself, and anyone else who is looking for it, obviously its just a game and I'd never suggest forcing anyone to go through this thought process, but I personally enjoy some of this min/maxing type stuff, and it should make a *possibly noticeable impact on dps/hps/survivability for some of the harder content if you optimized your stats better then someone else. So I hope to hear from some of the other math-minded guildies out there :)
Valenquissvrand

Re: Gear Optimzation

Postby Khel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:16 am

Khel

Postby Valenquissvrand » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the response Khel, this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, and since I made the original post I have discussed/researched some more on my own as well, but the general guidelines seem to stand firm. As a general point of advice, always maximize main stat over end (unless a tank, and even then all end is not necessarily the best either), balancing secondaries is tricky, but definitely involves balancing rather then picking one or two to stick with, and is probably class or even build specific, so its very hard to give general advice, research is advised, (also from what I've gathered *measuring* hps is rather challenging still), and from what I've gathered the weighting is usually main stat is valued at least equal to or slightly higher then the secondaries as far as a trade goes, but I think its fair to say if you see a trade of -10 main, for +40 power, its probably a good trade (I've also seen that specifically from rakata -> black hole on my sage) and yes if you were trading your main stat for a secondary that was particularly low its probably an even better exchange, that definitely sounds fair.

The only thing I can say personally about datacrons (as a sage healer) is that I'm pretty much positive that the strength/cunning/aim ones do not affect anything I do, whereas I'm aware for other classes (like the jedi knight) your non main stats actually do have some impact on your performance, another time when the advice sort of depends on the class, I think for shadows the + strength actually would improve there melee even though its not there main stat, so it might be specifically sages that are unusual.

Anyway thanks again, and I certainly welcome any more input anyone else has on the subject, there are those op/warzone dummies now that you can test your dps on, although I've never specifically tried one myself lol

I like having a sort of general gearing advice I can give to other classes too when it comes up in guild chat, for when theres no one else around with specific experience, I remember someone was trying to convince people that crit was for ranged dps and power was for melee one day, or that surge was for burst dps or some other crazy business lol.

I suppose that brings up one more sort of related topic (I'm so not an mmo'er) burst dps - I take it to mean being able to output loads of unsustainable dps over a fairly short time, and that *mostlY* it applies to pvp for killing other players, and for a few rather specific pve areas, like say final stage on Soa. Anything else to know about that term? It seems to me it should have little to no relation to gearing really, and be more of a build/ability use sort of thing.
Valenquissvrand

Postby Khel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:17 am

Khel

Return to General Discussion